A typical shophouse has these characteristics:
- Facing a street
- Built in a row, next to one another along a street, with no gaps or spaces in between
- Contains a single party wall separating shophouses on either side
- Low rise, 2-3 storeys
- Narrow and long, sectioned by air-well
- 5 foot way/kaki lima/Goh kha ki
- Multi-functional, combining residential and commercial use
- The ground floor of shophouses were typically used for business and trading
- Proprietors lived on the upper floor
Features of ShophouseThe features of a Shophouse are distinct yet similar throughout the different styles found in George Town. Below is an illustration on the features of a “Southern Chinese” Eclectic Style Shophouse.
For the Chinese version, please click here.
Check out more: Introduction to Penang Shophouse SLIDESHOW