There are six (6) main shophouse styles in George Town, Penang. Each style has distinctive architectural and decorative features which is a representative of the different periods in George Town’s history.
For a description and explanation of each of these styles, please refer to
- “Early Penang” Style (1790s-1850s)
- “Southern Chinese” Eclectic Style (1840s-1910s)
- Early “Straits” Eclectic Style ( 1890s-1910s)
- Late “Straits” Eclectic Style ( 1910s-1940s)
- Art Deco Style (1930s-1960s)
- Early Modern Style ( 1950s-1970s)
*Click image to enlarge. For the Chinese version, Please click here.
Below is a quick slideshow of the styles of Penang Shophouse